Saturday 23 February 2013

what the Vunk?

 
I feel Donatella has somewhat proved the point I was trying to make last posting when I decried the latest nostalgic remodelling of the past, namely the ‘90’s. At that point I was merely bored with the monochromatic, pared back styling and bland oversized silhouettes. The Versace collection Donatella breezily labeled as "Vunk", was none of these things however, and now i feel that perhaps  I was a tad too hasty.

Compared to the gaudy, trashy, dare I say nasty revisiting of Versace’s punk ‘heritage’ (if you can call the famous ‘Safety Pin’ dress ‘punk’), beige can rule the catwalks for all I care. I totally appreciate there’s room for ‘classics’ such as a camel coat, but when it came to the vinyl, tartan, slits and flesh of Versace’s latest collection, or I could think of was sulky pubescent teenagers with a chip on their shoulders. Only this didn’t have the ‘cool’. In fact, I just couldn’t understand the point of this collection. What I want to know- would any women actually want to wear this look, and if so where?

On Style.com, Tim Blanks mused it would be  “enchanting to think that she (Donatella) might have headed off home later on for a good old blast of Slaughter and the Dogs.” .Somehow that seems just a little unlikely. I just can‘t see the relevance of punk to either Versace or their clients, and if it was an attempt to be prescient regarding the upcoming Punk exhibition at the Metropolitan Museum in New York, it was as questionable as some of those exhibits supposedly are.

“That was hardly what Malcolm and Viv had in mind when they dressed the Sex Pistols”, noted Tim Blanks, and I’m not sure whether McLaren would be laughing or turning in his grave.

Having been recently enjoying his fantastic homage to Paris CD of the same name, it’s worth remembering just how explosive and original the initial Punk scene had been, and just how influential Malcolm and Vivienne have been. Unfortunately today, that influence may have reached its ultimate nadir.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

'What the Vunk?'Loved the boots and even going by the 2 photos you posted - have to say - think it's great for non-adolescent women to wear some 'punkish' articles of dress if that's what they want & reflects their personalities etc.
I think that this form of dressing can be done successfully by older generation women & am sure that it will be the mixing of garments and styles that will make it - it!
Love your V stylish blog! X